Hello, I'm Shawn McCool.
I am a software engineer with 26 years of industry experience. I work at a payment processing company where my focus is maintaining and modernizing payment processing systems.
I was born and raised in the United States but am now a citizen of the Netherlands.
I have at various times focused on software development, systems administration, entrepreneurship, and providing training through organizing and operating conferences and workshops.
I am deeply dissatisfied with the status quo.
I believe software can be better. Some topics I've invested heavily in on during my journey are Domain-Driven Design, Event Sourcing, and the Erlang virtual machine.
You might be interested in..
- My free video course on Event Sourcing.
- My criticism of the traditional ORM approach to software design.
- An exploration of decoupling at feature boundaries in PHP frameworks.
- Do Androids Dream of Microsoft Excel?
- Practical Techniques to Reduce the Harm of Active Record
- Aggregates for Those Familiar with ActiveRecord
- Simplifying Test Development
- Active Record: How We Got Persistence Perfectly Wrong
- Testing is Part of the Production System
- Card-based Simulation Engine
- Test Code is Application Code
- Testing at Boundaries with Test Doubles and Fixtures
- Adding Real Capabilities to Systems Through Naming
- Some Game Projects
- Avoiding Unified Data Models Talk
- More Relaxed Typing with Dvorak
- Event Sourcery
- What is Domain Modeling
- What is Active Record
- A Talk About Naming Things Talk
- Designing A Model Architecture Talk
- Dev Discussions Podcast
- What is a Repository
- Command Bus
- What is Domain-Driven Design?